Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Back-to-School Night Blues


Tonight was Back-to-School Night at the elementary. Back-to-School night has never felt like I was back in school the way tonight did. There was the parent who kept asking a million questions, even though the teacher had already explained it (to those who were actually listening). There were the "popular" girls who treated you like youre invisible, and loudly talked to one another the entire time the teacher was presenting her info. There was the parent sitting in the corner,looking like they would rather die than spend another minute sitting in a desk. The highlight of the night was when I alluded to the fact that my son sometimes chooses The Book of Mormon for his reading time, and the entire class started laughing at me and making fun of reading the scriptures. Yup, it was exactly the way I remembered school. It made me grateful that I am done with school, and get to be in my safe little bubble at home. It made my heart hurt for my children. I am grateful for the opportunity they have to learn. I know secular learning is important, but even more so, I hope that they are learning how to love (or atleast tolerate) everyone, to stand up for what they know to be true, and to keep their heads held high-- even when others try to make them feel small.

3 comments:

Chris and Kim said...

I had a few of those same thoughts, as I went to my middle schooler back to school night. I had some good memories and some bad memories. Our job is to prepare them the best they can and make sure they know we are always proud of them and love them no matter what. FYI - Aspen does her nightly reading with the Book of Mormon as well:)

Karen and Brent said...

did the teacher say she or he would except the Book of Mormon reading? You would think that in the community of Rexburg you would have had a few backers that stood up with you. I'm proud of you I'm proud..........

annma9 said...

What an awesome example!! If there were more parents and children like yours this would be a heaven on earth. You should be proud, what a great spirit for the ongoing battle for righteousness!