Friday, December 6, 2013

Gracie Kaye

 I've started, and re-started writing this post at least half a dozen times. I am feeling so much gratitude and love for this little girl, and her precious birth, that there really is no way to adequately put it into words. Our little Gracie is so heavenly and so very loved. She is such a happy little sweetheart. We are all just absolutely in love and feel so happy to have her in our little family.



Delivery day.
Because the doctors were worried about all of the crazy twists and turns this pregnancy has included (2-vessel cord, Group B strep, pyelonephritis -- which included very high fevers and a baby with high heart rates--, megaloblastic anemia, early labor at 26 weeks, etc.), they scheduled me for an induction. So, early Monday morning, Ryan and I were headed up to the hospital. I felt so excited to know it wouldn't be long before I could hold and kiss this baby that I had grown to know so well.  I also felt nervous, and a little sad that "being pregnant" was done. I have loved every single moment of this pregnancy-- even with all of the ups and downs. I actually started to cry in the car, because I knew how much I was going to miss being pregnant. I love the divine work of bringing babies into this world. It is a miracle.  I literally feel like I am constructing a masterpiece-- hand-in-hand with my Heavenly Father. On the drive, as I was trying to calm my aching heart, the song O Holy Night started to play on the radio. That is my very favorite Christmas carol. I listen to it more than any other. It was a tender mercy in that moment, and just what I needed to comfort me. 

At the hospital, it took quite a while to get everything in place and settled. I had to have 4 hours of antibiotic (for the strep b) before they would start my labor. They did put me on some low levels of pitocin, but not enough to put me into labor. At 12:45, Dr. Allred came and broke my water, and checked me. I was dilated to a 4! He left, and almost immediately I started to feel contractions pretty strong. About 20-30 minutes later, I asked the nurse to check me because I wanted the epidural ASAP.  She checked and I was a 4.5.  Dr. Allred said that he wanted to see a bigger change and a more regular labor before the epidural could be administered. I was frustrated by this because things were getting extremely painful. I asked the nurse-- again after about 10 minutes-- to check me again because I needed something for the pain! She said she would check me in about 45 minutes. 45 minutes! 45 minutes of awful contractions before she would even check me! Plus I knew I would have to then wait for the anesthesiologist to come and get everything into place (that is... if they would even let me have the epidural then). I thought I was going to die at the thought of 45 more minutes.  Finally, after 35 minutes, I told the nurse she needed to check me! Thankfully, she listened. I was dilated to a 9.5. Her shocked face was priceless! Even in the midst of major labor-- Ryan and I had to laugh when she ran out of the room. The door hadn't even closed behind her before I pressed the call button to tell them I had to push! Rachelle (my nurse) and the charge nurse came in, and let me push. After 2 1/2 pushes-- our baby girl was born. The doctor came running in after the first push, and delivered the second half of her. He later confessed that he was in such a hurry, that he ran into a bush on the way in and it knocked him down. If I was a bitter person, I would say it was karma punishing him for not letting me have the epidural I asked for. Luckily, I'm not a bitter person, and love Dr. Allred. (I do, however, kind of wish I could have witnessed the incident). Gracie was born at 2:44-- precisely 2 hours after they broke my water, and precisely 1 minute before the nurse had originally agreed to come back and check me.
She weighed 8 pounds 1 ounce, and was 20 inches long. 








A couple of hours later, my Mother brought the children up to meet their new sister. This is always one of my very favorite life experiences... ever! I love the joy and excitement that fills their eyes when they see their new baby for the first time!





There is no doubt that this baby is LOVED! 
My Mother. She is amazing. There are many wonderful things about having a new baby-- but near the top of my list is getting to have my Mother visit. She is so selfless. She blesses my life and my family's life in countless ways. I just love everything about her.

Bailey and Carol came to visit... and enjoy some pudding. 


Carol brought this cute headband for Grace.

I sure love these 2.

I always love our "alone time" in the hospital. 3 days that I get to simply enjoy my new baby. Even though it was pretty laid back for the 2 of us, it was quite an eventful 3 days! 
On Monday, Gracie was born in a way that sent everyone into an unexpected (yet glorious) frenzy.
On Tuesday, we got our seasons first huge snow storm (8-10 inches) and below zero temperatures.
On Wednesday, the entire area lost power (50,000 people) for most of the day. All the stores were closed. School was cancelled. I was grateful to be warm in the hospital.

Getting ready to go home (I love the look on her face). 
I am so grateful for my sweet little Grace. I feel like this little girl's sweet spirit has been my constant friend for the past few months. I feel so privileged to be the Mother of this amazing little sweetheart. I have mentioned in previous posts that she has an eager little zealous spirit, who has been waiting excitedly to get here. I suppose that it shouldn't have surprised me that my labor and delivery happened in a bit of a whirlwind. I sure love her and am so excited to have her here. 
Welcome to this adventure, little Gracie! 


12 comments:

Julie said...

Adorable!!! Kristen she is so cute. I wish I was out there to see her in person and get a couple pictures of her and Rex together. Can't wait until I get to meet her.

Hilary said...

I love it! Congratulations! I thought of you when I heard about the power outage, glad you stayed warm!

aubrey said...

She is beautiful!!! Love her name (with the "K" being represented in the middle)I had group B strep with Liv (annoying) Proud of you for being so strong...and funny about everything that went down. LOVED that the doctor ran into the bush, serves him right. I LOVE your mom. She is the best!

Chris and Kim said...

Kristen - I am so happy for you! I love how you share your feelings when you are telling about your experiences. You got me crying. You are a wonderful mother and Grace is beautiful. Enjoy this Christmas season with a new little angel in the Degraw home :)

Amy said...

Absolutely loved this post and the way your voice comes out in your writing. I appreciate the love you have for Grace and your family and your role as mother. Congratulations!!

Unknown said...

Such a sweet story! I have one so very similar :) She is just such a beautiful, precious angel! I'm so glad things went so well and now you are able to enjoy a new little spirit straight from Heaven. My only question...which you didn't answer...Grace...no C or K? There has to be a story there too!

Unknown said...

That comment is from Amanda Bailey...not Doug. Sorry!

Kirsten said...

SO SO SO happy for you guys!! I can't wait to see her! I love you!

Unknown said...

I absolutely love this post. What an adorable baby and such a beautiful family! Thank you for sharing all of this with us. Bless all of you!

Alison said...

Oh Kristen, I sit here in tears. Thank you for sharing Gracie's birth story. So neat! So neat that her sweet little spirit was so excited to get started in this great adventure of life. I love it! She is beautiful, her name is beautiful and she has wonderful things in store. You are amazing, I admire you so much! So happy she is here! So happy for your family. Love love love you!

Welcome to the Garden of Egan said...

What a sweet little darling! She's gorgeous.
You went fast!
I would have run upstairs to see you, but we were slammed in the ER. I always hesitate to come up from there anyway, just because I feel germy.

You are a beautiful mom. I love that picture of you two together enjoying quiet time.

Bless your sweet family!

kurtyhome said...

Krista and I laughed and cried at your post. Congrats!