Friday, September 20, 2013

Faith and Hope

This is an email that I composed for a friend of mine. It is deeply personal, and talks about a few things that I've never dreamed of sharing with so many. However, when I went to press the send button, I clearly felt like there might be someone else as well, who would find comfort in the things I chose to share with my beautiful friend. I'm hesitant to share such personal things. Honestly, I don't know how long I will keep it posted on the blog... but I hope whomever was meant to read it finds it helpful.

To my sweet friend,

The last time I saw you, we were sitting together on a little wooden bench in the Nursery, watching our little ones play. You asked me how old I was, and if that influenced my decision to have another baby. You confided in me that you were struggling to know if your family was "complete." I have thought back on that moment many times in the months since, and wished that I would have been able to express myself better. I wished that the setting would have been more conducive to me telling you about the journey I had been on that lead me to the desire to be pregnant again. I hope that I can express some of those feelings to you through this letter. It's long, and it's personal... but it is something that I have regretted not having the chance to share with you.

All of my babies have been meticulously planned for (right down to the month that I wanted their birthdays to be... I know, I'm a bit of a control freak).  My first 4 babies came very easy, and I got pregnant with baby 5 right on schedule as well-- but at 13 weeks I miscarried. I know a lot of people who have miscarriages pick them selves up and dust themselves off without much trouble. I was not one of those people. It broke my heart. It broke my children's heart. It took a lot of courage for me to decide to try for a baby again. But I knew I wanted another baby... so I was excited about 4 months later when I found myself expecting again. I had always LOVED being pregnant. But when I had the miscarriage, it stole some of that care-free bliss away from me. This time I went into the pregnancy with an extremely guarded heart. It was a coping mechanism I suppose. It didn't seem to make it any easier when I went in for my 12 week ultrasound and they couldn't find a heart beat.  To make matters worse, they discovered I had had a Molar pregnancy, which is when a cancer cell takes over the pregnancy. So, in one single instance, I learned that I was no longer pregnant-- and now had a mild form of cancer that I would need to have removed immediately.  I was not allowed to try for another baby for an entire year while they monitored me. That year was very difficult. I remember longing for a baby.  I knew that once the year was up, even though my chances of having another Molar pregnancy were 10 times greater than before-- I wanted another baby. Honestly, I NEEDED a baby to heal my wounded spirit. It didn't take long for me to get pregnant again. I remember at my first ultrasound how relieved I was to see a baby kicking around in there. The entire pregnancy, I worried. When Creed was finally born (my easiest labor and delivery by far) I cried tears of relief.  I finally had  my little miracle baby, and he was safe and healthy! However, about 4 hours after he was born, I had some complications that resulted in me nearly bleeding to death.  Later, the doctor told me that it was a miracle that he was in the hospital at the exact right moment to save me or I would have died.

So, with the history of the miscarriages, the molar pregnancy, and the near death experience/painful 6 month recovery after Creed-- I was completely content with the idea of my family being complete. I was utterly surprised when I started feeling the little spiritual nudges that were telling me that there was another baby meant for our family. At first, I ignored it-- in fact, I tried to ignore it for over a year. It got to the point that it became an all consuming issue. I worried about big things, like my age and pregnancy complications, and protecting my children's hearts...and dying.  I worried about little things, like the fact that we wont have a matching dining chair or the same matching picture frame for the new baby.  After so much fasting and prayer, I realized that the truth was, I was scared.  It wasn't a matter of my will vs. Heavenly Father's plan for me. It definitely wasn't that I didn't want a precious baby. I love being pregnant, I love having children, I wanted another sweet baby... but I was scared. I realized that I was allowing fear to guide my decision instead of faith.

I wasn't surprised when I was pregnant a mere 3 weeks later, because I knew that I should have let this baby come a long time before I finally did. I was so thrilled, and absolutely in love with this determined little spirit from the very first instant. My deep love and desire for this baby from the get-go was terrifying because I knew how quickly things could go wrong. Before every appointment, I mentally prepared myself for the "bad news".  It was stressful. I remember one night Ryan reminding me of my resolve to be guided by faith. I told him that I was very secure in the faith that I had-- not necessarily that things would go the way that I wanted-- but in the fact that I KNEW that whatever happened was what Heavenly Father wanted to have happen. I trusted in Him and His plan... even if it included a crappy ending. I actually rolled over that night giving myself a figurative pat on the back for knowing that I honestly would be okay no matter what the outcome. What happened next, as I lay there in bed, was perhaps the most clear spiritual experience I've ever had. The spirit clearly said to me (as I thought, "my faith is good..."), "Yes, but you are forgetting HOPE." I was dumbfounded. I had never even pondered on the principle of hope... ever... in my whole life. The Spirit then went on to teach me a sermon about the importance of hope. It goes hand in hand with faith, but it is not the same as faith. I realized that Heavenly Father does not want me to spend this pregnancy expecting the worst... he wants me to hope for the wonderful outcome that I so strongly desire. In that moment, and the days since, I have really tried to cultivate hope. I still worry-- I wish I didn't. However, I can truly say that, because of hope, I have allowed myself to love this baby completely and wholeheartedly. I know this baby-- it's spirit is familiar. I have enjoyed this pregnancy so much more than I was allowing myself to. Because of the decision to nurture hope, I have found my faith (that I smugly felt so secure in) deepen and mature. I don't know what Heavenly Father has planned, or how this  "pregnancy story" will go, but I do know that I have been so blessed by the principle of hope.

So, I suppose that the short answer to your question is, "yes-- I did worry about my age when I decided to get pregnant. And, I had a lot of other legitimate reasons to worry. But my decision also included SO MUCH MORE!" Does this mean that the answer I got is the right choice for everyone? Definitely not. However, I do think that the truths I learned on my quest -- that of letting faith guide your choices instead of fear, and cultivating hope as a part of that faith-- those truths can apply to everyone.

Love, 
Kristen

I thought the hand up by it's face was so sweet.

Isn't that just the most amazing little angel face?

I love the perfect little ear in this one, and that nose looks so much like my other babies that it blows me away.


4 comments:

Karen and Brent said...

Thanks once again I am amazed how well you communicate you feelings. Thank you for sharing this beautifully touching experience. Love you princess

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing your touching story. I love visiting your blog and reading your thoughts- they are always inspiring. I have such a hard time putting my thoughts into words, but your words are just beautiful!

Delia D'Nell said...

And this friend is why I love you and am so glad we're friends! Thank you for sharing something so personal and deeply spiritual!

Alison said...

Thank you so much Kristen!! Your words have touched my heart. I just love you so much!

And what sweet little pictures of your new babe! Such a treasure!! Xoxo