Anyone who knows me well knows how much I dread the first day of school. However, this year the first day of school included immense gratitude for the fact that I was able to be there to witness my children's important day. 3 days before school started, I found myself being unexpectedly admitted to the hospital with a severe kidney infection (which also put me into labor at 26 weeks pregnant). I sat in that hospital bed for 3 days mourning the loss of those last few days of summer with my children, and begging the doctor to get me home before the first day of school. I missed my children tremendously during the time I was there, and felt so grateful for the wonderful husband I have. Ryan stepped in and took over like a pro. In the past (during unexpected hospital stays) people have asked me why I don't have Ryan come stay with me at the hospital while my children go to neighbors. Of course I would like him there with me, holding my hand and wiping my tears-- but I find far greater comfort knowing that he is home with my children making sure that their world is not turned upside down just because mine is. I love that he is familiar enough with the way our house runs that he can take over without a wrinkle.
It wasn't looking like they were going to let me home in time, and the thought of missing such a milestone broke my heart. Perhaps it is because of precisely how much I despise the first day that we make it such a big deal at our house. I want it to be the easiest, most exciting and positive day for my children. I knew that they could survive it without their Mother, but I didn't want them to have to. Me being there and driving them to school was tradition. So the night before school started, when I was being wheeled out of the hospital at 8 p.m., I was so relieved. My children were so happy to see me, and I was so joyful to be there. I made it home in time to wash my girls hair and paint their nails to match the clothes we had picked out for the first day. I got to give my children the annual pep talk as I tucked them each in. In the morning I basked in their enthusiasm, and felt the familiar mix of anxiety and excitement as I watched them meet their teachers and walk into their classrooms. It was still sad to see them growing so fast, but the sadness was eclipsed by profound gratitude that I get to be the mother of such amazing people.
 |
| Cameron's first day of 9th grade. Isn't he such a good looking kid? When did he get so tall? |
 |
| Kyle's first day of 7th grade. He has taken to Jr. High like a pro-- and I am SO proud of him. |
 |
| Kailani started middle school (5th). I love her go-getter attitude and that she is doing so well in her school-work. |
 |
| Karen is in the 2nd grade, and my only elementary-er for the time being. She is being a trooper and goes most days without any problem. |
I look forward to a great year filled with many "firsts" for my ever-growing little ones. I am grateful for the blessing it is to be a part of their story and have them be such an intricate part of mine.
3 comments:
I'm so glad you were there to see them go. I love you, Kristen. Even though I haven't seen you in person in many years, you are an inspiration to me. You make me want to more fully "enjoy every second" with my own kids.
I'm so glad that you were able to be there for your kiddos! Are you feeling better?
You're such an amazing mother, and such a wonderful example to me.
I'm in your boat...I do not like the end of Summer. I miss my kids like crazy. It's hard to have them gone for the majority of the day.
Good gracious! Look at those good looking DeGraws! I'm VERY glad that you were able to be there! You are one tough momma! Love you guys!
Post a Comment