I adore being a Mother (I can't emphasize that enough), but if I'm really telling it like it is... I have to admit that, at times, the job can be a tad rough. As the resident chauffeur, cook, maid, teacher, referee, and entertainer, I run myself pretty ragged. Most nights I drag my exhausted body into bed for a restless night filled with bottle feedings and a number of other interruptions ("Mommy, I need to go to potty." "I had a bad dream." or the dreaded "I threw-up.") only to wake up and repeat the entire process again the next day. It can be a thankless job. I think that most of the time, mothering is like a blank, black night sky. It may appear, at first glance, like a vast expansion of nothing spectacular. It looks the same in all directions, and like it has no beginning and no end. However, upon closer inspection, you notice millions of specks of beautiful light dotting the otherwise dull sky. Then, all of a sudden, out of no-where a dazzling bright star shoots across the sky, and takes your breath away.
Tonight was one of those "bright shooting star" moments. Kyle asked us all to gather in the living room for a little devotional. He began by asking, "Who can tell me what agency is?" He then went on to give us the most detailed lesson on the Plan of Salvation, complete with homemade visual aids. He talked about the war in heaven, and that Michael led the "good side". He even mentioned that Michael later became Adam. He had a glove to demonstrate the difference between a spirit and a body, and what happens at birth and death, and again at the Resurrection. He had assigned Ryan a scripture to read about the pre-existence. It was the scripture about when Moses saw many of the "noble and great ones." The kids asked what that meant, and we explained that he may have seen Presidents, and Prophets. I loved it because Kailani then added, "...and Grandpa." I agree, Grandpa is a noble and great one. Kyle's lesson was so sweet, and detailed that it was almost comical because Ryan and I both sat there with our jaws on the ground. I think we were both asking ourselves "Who is this kid, and where did he come from?" I asked Kyle how he knew all of those things? Had he learned them in church that day? He responded by saying, "No, I just know it from all of my church learning my whole life." I was so proud, I couldn't wipe the smile off my face.
 |
| The Council in heaven. (Notice the third on top have frowny faces.) |
 |
| The war in heaven. |
 |
| Pre-existence, the veil, earth life, and death. |
 |
| Spirit paradise, the Resurrection, and judgment (see the gavel). |
 |
| The 3 degrees of glory. |
To top it all off, Kyle went to bed singing the articles of faith to himself. It was wonderful. It was dazzling, and-- like a shooting star-- it was gone too fast. It reminded me why I love this job so much!
3 comments:
Thanks for shareing your shooting star moment, it made a proud grandma cry. Good job mom and dad.
So cute. I LOVED the pictures. The smiles and frowns were my favorite. I am however curious as to why Michael and Satan have wings or capes on back in the second picture... this is a message from Julie by the way
I love it! Shine on!
Post a Comment