Jesus said, “Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father ,which is in heaven, is perfect” I know that he doesn’t expect us to become perfect in this world,-- but-, while we are on earth, he does want us to try our best and seek perfection.
In an Ensign article (April 2006) Pres. Thomas S. Monson talked about Becoming Our Best Selves he quoted the savior when he said:
“What manner of men ought ye to be? Verily I say unto you, even as I am.” In His earthly ministry, the Master outlined how we should live, how we should teach, how we should serve, and what we should do so that we could become our best selves.”
Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley was always encouraging us with sayings like
“Stand a little taller and work a little harder, rise a little higher, be a little better. Make the extra effort. You will be happier. You will know a new satisfaction, a new gladness in your heart” and in his article The Quest for Excellence, he said: We are of the family of God, with such a tremendous potential for excellence. The distance between mediocrity and excellence can be ever so small. The little extra effort we make becomes such a tremendous difference.”
I think, as women, it is a natural tendency to want to be excellent in all we do… and, in turn, I think it is also a natural tendency for us to be extremely hard on ourselves when we fall short of our high expectations. Satan is well aware of this vulnerability, and fully utilizes every opportunity we allow him to make us feel like our efforts as wives, mothers, daughters, and so on, is all in vain. He wants us to give up. He wants us to feel like our best is not enough and improvement is not possible. However, we know, as daughters of God, that we are here on earth to grow and strive for our divine potential. If there is something, as a wife or mother, that we are not pleased with… we can work on it, and become better.
Heavenly Father wants us, as wives and mothers, to be our best. He knows that it is not always easy-- but he does not want us to feel discouraged. He inspires our church leaders to give us the counsel that is needed for the times we live in. They are words of encouragement, not condemnation. They are meant to lift and inspire us to be our best selves.
As I listened to conference in April, I was amazed at how many talks were focused on the important role of motherhood. I know that there are no assigned topics, so that tells me that with ten talks about motherhood we need to listen and act upon the things we are being taught. In this wicked world there is a greater need for righteous mothers teaching their children by word and by deed. These talks can help us know how to be better mothers. They are meant to lift us and encourage us to be better, not to make us feel inadequate or lacking. We can listen to these talks and allow Lucifer to make us feel like a failure and disappointment to our Heavenly Father, or we can look at them as the “true doctrine” that they are and use them as a guide to do better and be better.
As I have studied and prayed about these 10 talks, my gratitude for inspired leaders and our loving Heavenly Father has grown more than I can say. I was trying to decide what parts of each talk would be the most important for me to share. And I realized for everyone that answer would be different. Because of that I have asked some sisters to share their feelings about specific talks and I have given them the impossible task of doing it in one minute. I am sorry we don’t have more time but I hope it inspires each of us to study them for ourselves. As we do so, I promise that Heavenly Father will strengthen us, and help us become the women and mothers we desire to be.
*And upon the Handmaids in Those Days Will I Pour Out My Spirit”
-Julie B. Beck-Donnetta Rhead
*Mothers and Daughters -Elder M. Russell Ballard-Tammy Daisson
*Help Them on Their Way Home -President Henry B. Eyring-Louise Hoagland
*Mothers Teaching Children in the Home-Elder L. Tom Perry- Shannon Neibaur
*Watching with All Perseverance-Elder David A. Bednar-Heidi Christensen
*He Lives! All Glory to His Name!-Elder Richard G. Scott-Audrey Lambert*That Our Children Might See the Face of the Savior-Cheryl C. Lant -Alisha Wickern
*Our Duty to God: The Mission of Parents and Leaders to the Rising Generation
-Elder Robert D. Hales -Ruth Comeau
*Mother Told Me -Elder Bradley D. Foster -Gwen Butler
*Tell Me the Stories of Jesus -Elder Neil L. Andersen - Janette Wood
Thank you so much for your time and efforts in preparing and sharing your thoughts and feelings. You all did so much better than I could have ever done. Thank you.
In closing, I testify the scriptures and words of our church leaders, are the best “self-help manual“ or parenting handbook available. As we study the true doctrine they contain, they will change us, and shape us into the women we desire to be. (Show, and pass out little scripture handout). We are Heavenly Fathers children, our children are His children, and He loves them and wants all of us to return to Him. I know Satan delights in discouraging the work of Mother's. He likes to whisper words of doubt in our ears, and make us feel like our efforts are in vain. I know many times I have felt so inadequate and like my precious children deserved so much more for a Mother than what they were given. I absolutely love being a Mother-Sometimes it is more fun than others and some times it is not fun at all- But it is all I have ever wanted for myself. I wish I was better at it-- more patient, more soft, more kind-- more righteous, more many things. However... when I think of it as a "partnership" with Heavenly Father, I am reminded that I am not doing this alone. I can go to Him for guidance and strength. He can change me into who I hope to be. My efforts matter to Him, and to me, that makes ALL the difference. 

1 comment:
I bet you are a wonderful teacher - beautiful lesson!! I choose the exact same background on my blog - you have good taste.
Post a Comment