1- Be nice! Everyone-- even the mean and/or popular kids-- are on a hard journey. Everyone is trying to figure out who they want to be (and are testing out different personas). Be someone who is helping others on this crazy journey. Be uplifting.
2- Have fun dating. Now is not the time to find a serious relationship. Use this time to date, and have fun. Discover which type of qualities you want in a spouse. Practice how to act around guys. Once you get to college, there will be a couple guys that you actually do want to impress-- and that you actually do make a fool of yourself infront of (Sorry, but it's true. Your nervousness is your own worst enemy!). You will wish you had practiced sharpening those social skills on the lame high school boys.
3- In English class, when a cowboy named Dallas asks if you want to hear a joke, say NO! If he keeps talking, then plug your ears, sing "la,la,la,la" and run out of the room. He is a gross perv!
4- In ceramics class, don't spend the entire time flirting with the boy at your table-- instead make something! At least, flirt and make something at the same time. One ugly crooked pot is NOT enough to show for an entire semester in ceramics! Don't loose your Dad's apron, and don't sell the ceramics tools (that your parents paid money for) back to your teacher for extra credit (that you don't even need).
5- Don't kiss Danny, Nate or Andy-- one of them (and I'm pretty sure you know who it is) has mono... and they will give it to you! Seriously not worth it. Instead, keep your eye out for a handsome red head scrubbing dirty lasagna pans in your not-so-distant future!
6- Show a little more appreciation to your parents. They do everything for you. Despite what your teenage brain is telling you, they actually do know what they are talking about. And, they love you very much. And, no-- they don't want you to be a total nerd!
7- Keep reading your scriptures, saying your prayers, and going to church. It will continue to serve as your greatest strength and most comforting relationship for all your life.
8- Surround yourself with good friends. Enjoy every sleepover, drive-by, date night, secret note passed, clothes swap, and late-night phone conversation. Be happy. Be free. Soak up the memories. Don't let the drama get to you. Be confident.
9- Your drivers ed test is going to stink-- big time! Mr. Lindsay is going to yell at you. DON'T CRY IN FRONT OF EVERYONE! You pass the test, and in the long run, it really isn't that big of a deal. Second, the day after you get your licence, get in the car and drive. You can do it!
10-Hang in there. This is just the beginning, and life only gets better and better from here!
![]() |
| This is me in High School. I thought I knew it all! Ha! |


5 comments:
You are totally awesome! I sure do love you. Thanks for being the smart, beautiful, sensibile one.
Ha ha! Don't worry I thought you knew everything when you were in HS too. Laughing the whole time. This sounds like great advice. Looks like you learned some things since then. I still think you know everything! Wonder what advice you will have for your 34 year old self in 15 years from now :)
I love it. As someone who knew you well in High School I think you were AWESOME! You definitely had it together WAAAY more than me. I am laughing SOOOO hard at some of the stuff we did...Love your guts.
Love it! And if the Dallas in English is the Dallas I'm thinking of, I think he actually turned out to be a good guy! (If it's not the same guy, then oh well.)
WOW-that brought back memories! Would't change a thing about you in high school- thank heavens for Mr. Carson...was that his name...geometry, anyway- that class changed my life, well not the class, you in the class. Anyway, I'm gonna stop now, I think you know what I mean.
Post a Comment