I did it! 11 days ago, I set a goal to read the entire Book of Mormon by Easter, and I did it! I wish I could say it was easy, but the truth is that it was quite a challenge--but, then again, I suppose all things worthwhile usually are.
Here are a few of my thoughts on the experience:
*Our minds think and ponder on the things we choose to lend our time to. Throughout the course of the 2 weeks, I found myself thinking about what I had read, imagining how I would have felt if I had been in the stories I was studying, and even laying in bed awake at night pondering on the meaning of what I had learned. It was refreshing to think on things that truly matter as opposed to the trivial things I usually have cluttering up my mind.
*Heavenly Father's "time" is not the same as our "time". There have been many times, in the past, that I have chosen to forgo my personal scripture study because I had too many things to do that day. At the beginning of this experiment, I didn't know how I was going to read and do all of the many things on my daily "to-do lists". I discovered that when I focused on reading first, Heavenly Father magnified my efforts in all the other areas, and I was able to accomplish everything on my list (and then some). To complete the entire book within 2 weeks, I had to give a good portion of the day to reading. I have since decided that if I could do that, I should be able to give 10 itty-bitty minutes to reading each day in the future.
*I have felt the warmth and peace of the Holy Ghost more in the past week and a half than I have in a long time. It has been a precious treat to have him as my companion. I am so grateful for the gift of the Holy Ghost.
*I found myself hungering to "feast" on the word. In the beginning, it was more difficult to read, but as time went on, I wanted to read more and more. I read in the car while I waited for Ryan to come out of his office. I read as I walked the halls at the children's school (during Karen's speech). I read while I waited at the doctor's office. I could feel my soul being nourished as I read-- and it felt good.
*My children have benefited from seeing me read my scriptures. I have found them thinking and asking more about the scriptures. One day, I had told the children about what I had read (In Alma 58) It was about Helaman (and Gid and Teomner), and one of his genius strategic plans that allowed them to capture a city without bloodshed. The next day, Kailani said, "Mom, that was such a cool plan. I can't believe they snuck back into the city while the Lamanites slept! Helaman was sure a smart man."
*Isaiah is confusing, and I don't understand very much of it... yet!
*The Book of Mormon is true. I truly believe that it is a record containing the word of God, kept by ancient prophets, but written for us in our day. It truly is "another testament of Jesus Christ." As I read about all the people who sacrificed (even their lives, and the lives of their loved ones) to preserve the record, so that I can read it with such ease and convenience, I am so humbled. I am embarrassed that I so often take it for granted. It makes me so grateful to my Father in Heaven. I am amazed that He loves his children so much-- even when we so easily forget His hand in our lives. I love my Savior. It has been so special, at this Easter time of year,to more fully focus on Him and His teachings. I believe that He did appear to the Nephite people, as a resurrected being. Reading about His charity and mercy towards them during that visit is always one of my favorite parts of the Book of Mormon. It testifies of His love. I know He loves me, even though I am full of so many faults. I want to follow His example and be like Him. The space between who I want to be (and hope to become), and who I actually am is disheartening. However, I know that all He expects of me is that I do my best. He has promised to make up the difference. I am doing my best... and because of that, I hope to be able to meet Him with confidence when He comes again.
Connection check nxhnwlmk
-
Connection check nxhnwlmkl4dvlpzl4die reference

4 comments:
Well done sweety! Good job. I sure do love you.
YOU ARE AAAAAAMAZING! I'm proud of you. I'm proud of you. I hope that you are proud of you.
I'm proud of you. I'm proud of you. I hope that you are proud of you, too. Good job Kristen. Love you!
WOW! That is awesome and made my a little jealous that I didn't do it.
How you live your life and what you choose to blog about is such an inspiration. I am always uplifted when I "check in" slash "stalk you" by reading your blog.
Love you bunches!
What can I say? Kris=AMAZING! Such a great way to focus on Christ at Easter. I don't know how you did it, but WOW! I'm reading Book Of Mormon Made Easier, as I read this time through, it's taking me so much longer, but I'm getting so much more out of the scriptures. Really taking the time to study and understand. They are great books if you want a study guide.
Post a Comment