Sunday, January 6, 2013

Ivy Noel DeGraw

In a move that still has me questioning my sanity, we got a Christmas puppy. It actually wasn't a hasty decision. I really wanted my children to have the childhood experience of owning a dog. I had been on the fence about my decision until, one day, I realized that Cameron only has 4-5 more years before he is going to be leaving home (we can talk about the trauma of that realization another time...sniff, sniff).  I had been researching dogs since November to find just the right type for us.  However, with our lives being so crazy due to moving, and changing schools and everything-- we decided to wait for spring before buying a puppy.  What I didn't expect was to come across our little Ivy 2 days after Christmas.  When I saw her picture, I really felt like she was the puppy I had been waiting for.  She is a Morkie, which is a Maltese/Yorkie. She is only 7 weeks old in these pictures. The children were so surprised. They didn't expect a puppy at all. It was so fun to see their happiness.













 


If I look happy in the picture above, it is because I had no idea what I was getting myself into.  I didn't know how the stress of a new baby puppy was going to turn me into a sleep-deprived, cry-at-the-drop-of-a-hat, neurotic wreck.  Honestly! We have had Ivy for almost 2 weeks, and while it has had some happy moments, it is mostly filled with new puppy stress.  Taking her out 2-3 times a night to go potty in -20 degree weather is a pain. Following her around and cleaning up puppy messes is annoying.  Planning my schedule around the puppy is frustrating. The ridiculous cost of all things puppy related is crappy... but I expected all of those things. What I didn't expect was the biting and chewing that is constant (and getting worse). My children are getting to the point that they cant even handle holding her because of the nipping. I didn't expect to feel so alone in my journey to figure out the puppy training and problem solving-- there is so much conflicting information. I honestly don't know what to do to resolve the issue. I didn't expect her to whine all day long. I didn't expect Creed to be so afraid of the puppy that I have to pick him up and carry him if the dog is around-- but mostly he avoids me and the dog (and I sincerely miss my little cuddle boy). It is really hard. I don't like to complain, and try to be an uplifting person, but this puppy is much harder than expected!

Don't misunderstand, I think Ivy is a good puppy. She seems eager to please, and is a fast learner. The problem lies with her trainers not knowing a thing! I don't know how long I can live in this sleep-deprived/high stress puppyville.  At least once a day I decide that I can't handle keeping the dog-- then she will climb onto my little girl's lap to snuggle and I will see a bond developing. The first thing the children ask when they get home is "Where is Ivy?" They love her. She is the cutest dog. I still anticipate her being a blessing to my family the way I envisioned. I hope that we can get it figured out fast.  Stay tuned for the next chapter in the Ivy saga.  Hopefully it will be entitled "Puppy Love" and not "Remember that time when we had a dog for a few weeks."

4 comments:

Julie said...

Awe! She is so cute :) sorry she is chewing on everything. When your kids hold her make sure she already has a toy or bone in her mouth. Creed will get back to normal. Kinley lived on couch for a good 3 weeks. She required I carry her every where and would spill her breakfast bowl every morning for 3 weeks when bringing it to sink. It became daily routine to clean up milk in morning. Now she is back to normal... Aside from a few occasional outburst and she loves our dog. She carries her around and plays with her. Hang in there. Life will get back to it's happy self soon enough. You'll figure it out :)

Christie said...

OH! Puppy love...err...insanity!
Ivy looks so adorable!
Puppies really are so hard to train. Do you have a kennel? They help at night. Maybe put her in a kennel in the laundry room with some puppy pads (for accidents) at night? That way you can get a goo night's sleep. Let me know if you need one, I think my brother might have one you can borrow. They're good for when you need to leave home too. She can stay inside and you don't have to worry about "little presents" when you return home.
I hope things are getting easier with her.

Love and miss you!!!

Unknown said...

I felt exactly the same way when we bought our puppy! I kept thinking to myself, "it's going to be a loooong 10 years until this thing dies and we can move on!" Isn't that awful? Luckily we decided to pay for professional training assistance at our local PetSmart. It made all the difference. Our high-maintenance puppy turned into the best behaved dog! She was suddenly a delight to have around and now we can't imagine life without her. Seriously- try professional training. It solved all our problems with chewing, house breaking, nipping behavior, etc. I'd also highly recommend you read 'The Dog Whisperer'. I laughed the first time I looked at that book, but the stuff she teaches actually works in powerful ways. Ivy will stop biting when she stops feeling like she has to correct your kids, so she needs to experience Alpha training from your family. It sounds weird, but it fixed all our nipping issues with our dog. Good luck!!!!

aubrey said...

Oh she's cute!!! Is Sunny still alive?