Thursday, April 15, 2010

Where can I Buy a Freeze-Ray?



This morning was one of those mornings where I had far too many things to accomplish in far too little time. I gave myself an hour to get as much cleaning around the house done as possible. I was frantically cleaning the living room, while Karen was watching a cartoon movie. Her face, as she enjoyed her movie, caught my attention. It was an expression of complete delight. I wished that I could freeze that moment and keep her that age forever. What happened next was completely unexpected. I don't know if other mothers have these moments-- but they always catch me off guard. I am talking about those moments that completely blind-side you--like getting sucker-punched in the stomach, and you find yourself doubled over, gasping for air. I am talking about the moments where you realize that no matter what you do, you can't stop your babies from growing up WAY too fast. The moments where you wonder what happened to the days between driving home from the hospital with your tiny baby, and now??? When you realize that time has flown by in the blink of an eye, and will continue to fly by in a flash. These moments make me sad. I know I am supposed to be happy to see my children grow, and develop... but the truth is that I usually find myself wishing things would just slow down. The ONLY good thing about these blind-side moments, is that they force me to refocus on what is really important. In 5, 10, or even 50 years-- I am not going to care if my house was always clean, or if I was always on time to every appointment, or that I volunteered here or there every other week. However, I am certain that I will miss the days of snuggling, and stories, and...even picking up my childrens toys (again, and again, and again). I am certain that I will be grateful for every second I had with my children.

So, did I get everything accomplished that was on my to-do list this morning? No. I dropped my arm-load of items needing to be put away, and scooped up my sweet little four year old. I breathed in her smell. I relished in her sweet little giggles. I held her tight, and smothered her with kisses. I held her for as long as she let me, and it was worth every single second!

3 comments:

Carrie said...

Ha! I love the family picture.

Thanks for the reminder to enjoy every moment with my little guy.

Sara Packer said...

Thank you for inviting me to see your blog. I love it. Your kids are growing like crazy. I also have a blog. It isn't great, but I want to be cool like everyone else. Your welcome to look if you feel like it. Congratulations on the next addition. You guys are great!

Hi I'm Lindsey! said...

I love those moments and thanks for the reminder. I battle that every day! Being a Mommy is so great! Those moments are what life is about.

And I completely agree....where does time go? Karen was just a baby. Crazy crazy. You have such cute kids. They are just all adorable and look so much alike. I LOVE it!