
Ryan and I spoke in church today. It was stressful for me, because that is definately not on my favorite list of things to do. I appreciated my sisters, Michelle and Carol, coming to help with the kids. That was a big load off to not have to worry about them. I am grateful it is over. It was a blessing to reflect on our assigned topic this past week, and remember the blessings of protection that are granted to us when we do what is right. Here it is (beware: it is long):
(Introduction)
Good Morning Brothers and Sisters. I am grateful for the opportunity that I have to speak to you today.
(David and Goliath Story):
One of my favorite stories in the Bible is the story of David and Goliath. As you recall, the army of Israel under the leadership of King Saul was engaged in a deadly war with the army of the Philistines. One army poised on one hill, the other on an opposite hill, with a valley in between. Now, the Philistines had among their number a great giant of a man named Goliath of Gath. His height was six cubits and a span, which– I believe makes him about 9 feet tall! Stop for a moment, and think about how tall that really is. He was huge!Clad in his armor, he came down to the valley and called out to the army of Israel:
“Choose you a man for you, and let him come down to me. If he be able to fight with me, and to kill me, then will we be your servants: but if I prevail against him, and kill him, then shall ye be our servants, and serve us. Goliath continues by saying, “… I defy the armies of Israel this day; give me a man, that we may fight together” (1 Sam. 17:8–10).
Now, in my mind, as I visualize this scene... I always try to picture what the expressions might have looked like on King Saul and the army of Israel’s faces, as they looked at this giant and listened to his challenge. I kind of picture everyone taking a step back, and trying to blend in. The scriptures tell us, they were “greatly afraid”. Not a single soldier jumped at the chance– and so... each morning and night for 40 days, Goliath issued the same challenge.
While all of this was going on, Jesse, David’s father, asked his young son to take some food to his three brothers in the army. When he arrived at the battleground, Goliath came out again, issuing the same challenge, which David heard. There was fear throughout the army of Israel. David, who was no more than a boy, questioned why no one was willing to fight. He then boldly volunteered”
Saul replied, “Thou art not able to go against this Philistine to fight with him: for thou art but a youth, and he [is] a man of war [trained] from his youth”
David then persuades Saul to let him try, explaining that he would have the power of the Lord with him.
Saul– perhaps trying to help David the best he could– then placed his own armor on David until the boy could scarcely walk. David removes the armor, explaining he cant wear it, but that he will be protected.
He then “took his staff in his hand, and chose him five smooth stones out of the brook, and put them in a shepherd’s bag which he had … ; and his sling was in his hand” (1 Sam. 17:40).
Then this faithful boy, having rejected the kings armor, but instead wearing the Armor of God, went down into the valley to face Goliath.
At this point in our story... I have to stop and wonder what Goliath must have been thinking when he sees a little shepherd marching down into the valley. The scriptures tell us that when he saw David, he disdained him. In fact, he was offended and essentially asked, “What do you think I am...a dog?”
Goliath mocked David for his youth, cursed him by his gods, and shouted that he would feed his flesh to the birds and beasts of the field.
Then David replies with these great words: “Thou comest to me with a sword, and with a spear, and with a shield: but I come to thee in the name of the Lord of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom thou hast defied.
“This day will the Lord deliver thee into mine hand; and I will smite thee, and take thine head from thee; and I will give the carcases of the host of the Philistines this day unto the fowls of the air, and to the wild beasts of the earth; that all the earth may know that there is a God in Israel” (see 1 Sam. 17:42–46).
Pretty brave talk for a boy who stood against a nine-foot giant.
In anger (and I’m sure some measure of disbelief) Goliath came at him. Then David, running toward the giant, “put his hand in his bag, and took thence a stone, and slang it, and smote the Philistine in his forehead, that the stone sunk into his forehead; and he fell upon his face to the earth.
I like this story for many reasons, but this morning, I would like to focus on how this story applies to us and the world we live in today. There are Goliaths all around us, hulking giants with evil intent to destroy. These Giants come in many forms– some try to entangle our bodies, others are more focused on destroying our spirits, but all of them are skilled, and cunning in their efforts to lead us on a path to eternal misery. However, just like David... we have been given a protection. We too can wear the Armor of God. It protected David as he battled a giant– and it can protect us as we battle the “Goliaths” that we encounter everyday.
(Armor of God)
Ephesians 6: 10-13 says:
“Be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might. Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day” (Eph. 6:10–13).
When speaking of the Armor of God, Elder M. Russell Ballard said, “I like to think of this spiritual armor not as a solid piece of metal molded to fit the body but more like chain mail. Chain mail consists of dozens of tiny pieces of steel fastened together to allow the user greater flexibility without losing protection. I say that, because it has been my experience that there is not one great and grand thing we can do to arm ourselves spiritually. True spiritual power lies in numerous smaller acts woven together in a fabric of spiritual fortification that protects and shields from all evil.
It is a common expression to talk about the “chinks” in a person’s armor. The definition of the word chink is “a small cleft, slit, or fissure.” Should an arrow strike exactly one of the chinks in one’s armor, a fatal wound can result.”
There are many ways that we can fortify our spiritual armor. This morning, I would like to focus on three specific things we can do to protect ourselves , and our families, by eliminating any chinks or gaps in our spiritual armor. These are pray consistently, live cleanly, and stand firmly.
First, Pray Consistently–
Doctrine and Covenants 10:5 reminds us to “pray always, that you may come off conqueror; yea that you may conquer Satan, and that you may escape the hands of the servants of Satan that do uphold his work”
One of the blessings of praying always is the spiritual strengthening that comes from being constantly connected with our Father in Heaven. When we are connected through prayer, God blesses us with the guidance of the Holy Ghost, which strengthens us and fortifies us against temptation.
It is so important that we, as individuals, find a time and place where we can be alone with Heavenly Father and pour out our hearts to Him, that we might add strength and power to our spiritual lives. Every honest and sincere prayer adds another piece to our chain-mail armor.
This power is not only important in our own personal lives, but can be expanded to include the protection of our family, as we kneel together morning and night.
President Gordon B Hinckley, in a message entitled, “The Blessings of Family Prayer”, said I know of nothing that will so much help to ease family tensions, that in a subtle way will bring about the respect for parents which leads to obedience, that will affect the spirit of repentance– which will largely erase the blight of broken homes, than will praying together, ... and invoking the blessings of the Lord upon the home and those who dwell there.”
One of the most important ways to clothe ourselves (and our families) in the armor of God is to make sure that prayer—earnest, sincere, consistent prayer—is part of our daily lives.
The next principle that I would like to direct your attention to is: Live Cleanly
There could be several sacrament meetings dedicated to the topic of “Live Cleanly”. It includes physical cleanliness, for example, keeping the word of wisdom, sexual purity, and the way we choose to regard our bodies. It could also cover mental purity. That is, what forms of entertainment we choose to allow in our lives, what type of language we use, or what thoughts we decide to entertain. However, for this talk, it is sufficient for me to say... don’t pollute your mind and body with the filth the world is pedaling. You know what kind of things I am talking about. We are surrounded by worldly garbage on every side– to the point where , at times it seems impossible not to step in it, but that doesn’t mean we have to choose to roll around in it.
Somebody once pointed out to me that every part of the Armor of God is defensive in nature (we have the breastplate of righteousness, the helmet of salvation, the shield of faith, and so on). Except the one offensive piece in our armor... which is the “sword of my spirit”. It is no coincidence that in our battles with Satan, the first thing he tries to do is make us to lose our weapon by doing something that causes us to lose the companionship of the Holy Spirit. When we choose to live lives that are unclean – to any degree– we are essentially surrendering our weapon, because the Holy Ghost cannot abide with us.
Elder David A. Bednar, in his talk, “That we may always have his spirit to be with us” said, “The standard is clear. If something we think, see, hear, or do distances us from the Holy Ghost, then we should stop thinking, seeing, hearing, or doing that thing. If that which is intended to entertain, for example, alienates us from the Holy Spirit, then certainly that type of entertainment is not for us. Because the Spirit cannot abide that which is vulgar, crude, or immodest, then clearly such things are not for us.Taking “the Holy Spirit for [our] guide” (D&C 45:57) is possible and is essential for our spiritual growth and survival in an increasingly wicked world.”
We must choose to shun the smut that Satan would have us carry around. It is much more difficult to win a battle (not to mention the war) when you have dropped your weapon. Don’t allow Lucifer to trick you into dropping your sword, but– rather choose to live cleanly so that the Holy Ghost can be your guide.
The last principle I would like to discuss today is Stand Firmly:
President Thomas S Monson has said, “...have the courage to stand firm.... The trend in society today is away from the values and principles the Lord has given us, you will almost certainly be called upon to defend that which you believe. Unless the roots of your testimony are firmly planted, it will be difficult for you to withstand the ridicule of those who challenge your faith. When firmly planted, your testimony of the gospel, of the Savior, and of our Heavenly Father will influence all that you do throughout your life. The adversary would like nothing better than for you to allow... criticism of the Church to cause you to question and doubt. Your testimony, when constantly nourished, will keep you safe.”
We live in a world today where our beliefs and values are growing ever more unpopular. In Doctrine and Covenants 27:15, the Lord has these encouraging words– “Wherefore, lift up your hearts and rejoice... take upon you my whole armor that ye may be able to withstand the evil day, having done all– that ye may be able to stand.” What this scripture means to me is that upon doing all we can to ensure that we are wearing our armor– we can rejoice– because we know that we will be protected. This allows us to have courage to Stand Firmly on righteous ground in the last days!
(Conclusion and Testimony)
I am so grateful for a loving Heavenly Father, and Savior. The gospel is such a blessing of comfort. I love the scriptures and the guidance they bring. I know that the Book of Mormon is the word of God, given to us as a precious gift. I know that Joseph Smith restored the true church to the earth. I am grateful for him, and his example of faith and endurance. I am humbled when I think of how lucky we are to have a living Prophet, to serve as Gods mouth-piece on the earth today, to let us know God’s will, and help us feel of the love and concern that Heavenly Father has for us. As I feel of that love, my desire to do what is right is strengthened. I know that when we choose to live righteously, we are granted spiritual protection.
May we fortify our armor through righteous acts– namely that of praying consistently, living cleanly, and standing firmly. So that when temptation comes our way, we may recognize it as that boastful, deceitful giant “Goliath!” and do with it as David did to the Philistine of Gath. That, we may be able to stand with confidence and say, as David did, “Thou comest to me with a sword, and with a spear, and with a shield: but I come to thee in the name of the Lord of hosts, the God of Israel, whom thou hast defied.” As we do so, I testify that we will be victorious.
I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ Amen.

2 comments:
Beautiful talk Kris! I'm always so glad when those things are over, knowing you, you did a great job and they will want you back next week!
This is a wonderful talk. I totally agree with you, I hate giving talks - I dread being in front of everyone. You are a wonderful example to me -- I love the family picture!!
Post a Comment